Tuesday, February 24, 2009

MY TOP TEN SONGS OF ALL-TIME

Time to lighten up the reading, and wash the bad posts out of your hair:

THE MAYOR'S ALL-TIME TOP TEN SONG LIST
1 - "Big Time" - Peter Gabriel - Actually anything from Peter Gabriel would make my top ten, especially this song and "Games Without Frontiers". I also love "Come Talk to Me"
2 - "Silent Running" - Mike and the Mechanics - This song came from a very underrated band in the 1980's. They are best known for "The Living Years", but this song was actually in a movie, but I can't remember it.
3 - "Running Up That Hill" - Kate Bush - For some reason, I always think of spring when I hear this song. was the most successful of Bush's 1980s releases, eventually peaking at the number three position in England, her second-highest single release there. The single also had a great impact in the US, providing Bush with her first hit to chart since 1978. It reached the top 30, and featured prominently within the Dance Charts. It has been covered several times, and I like most of those versions as well - Placebo, Within Temptation, and Nolwenn Leroy (a very beautiful French you probably have never heard of)
4 - "Say It Right" - Nelly Furtado - A catchy song from a lovely lady. Furtado has cited the influence of the Eurythmics and their song "Here Comes the Rain Again" on this song. The video is also very appealing.
5 - "Division Bell" - Pink Floyd - I have always been a big fan of Floyd (especially after seeing them in concert many years ago at Camp Randall Stadium). This song, with its haunting lyrics and the sound of the bells, is a good one to just relax to.
6 - "While The Earth Sleeps" - Peter Gabriel and Deep Forest - There is no real video for this song, so the clip takes you to a fan's rendition. The song appeared on the soundtrack for the film "Strange Days" and is played over the film's end credits; it was also released as a CD single. IF you can ever find this for me for a download, I would appreciate it. The song incorporates credited samples from "Shashvi, Kakabi", performed by Tsinandali Choir, and from an old Macedonian song called "Dali Znaes Mila Majko" ("Do you know, dear mother?").
7 - "The Highwayman" - The Highwaymen - Yes, I do listen to country. The song is about a soul with incarnations in four different places in time and history, a highwayman (of course), a sailor, a dam builder on the Hoover Dam, and finally as an astronaut. And who are the Highwaymen - Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson.
8 - "This Used to be my Playground" - Madonna - The theme song from "A League of Their Own" is one of those songs that just tugs at the heart strings.
9 - "Feel Alive" - The Benassi Brothers - One of those songs that makes me think of a season - SUMMER.
10 - "A New Game" - Tom Hedden - All I think of when I hear this song is FOOTBALL. Guaranteed to pump up the crowd. Another sports song I love is "Sandstorm" from Darude.