Wednesday, October 21, 2009

THOUGHTS ON THE 2010 BUDGET

As the 2009 budget cycle comes to an end, I am proud of the work the city staff has done in crafting a fiscal plan for 2010 that includes a 1.65 percent increase. I don't enjoy raising taxes, and, during my tenure as mayor, we have had budgets with little to no tax increases. This year, it was the most difficult budget to balance. Despite a decrease in state aid, increases in health insurance costs and salaries and increasing costs for most of the every day items city staff uses, the budget is actually up just 1/2 percent from the budget we are under this year. The tax increase comes as a result of the drop in the city's property values, which is a number the state Department of Administration determines. In their infinite wisdom, they claimed the city's value went down while Fond du Lac County, as a whole, went up.

Despite the tax increase, this has been a quiet year from the public in regards to the budget. No one spoke up at a recent public hearing (another one will be held in late November), and I have not received one email, letter or call about the proposed spending plan. I am not going to be naive enough to believe that this means everyone in the city of Ripon is happy with their taxes. And, since I and the council have control over only about 30 percent of the total tax bill, the silence could be broken as tax bills hit the mail boxes in mid-December.

It is a common theme to hear residents claim their taxes are too high. Heck, I don't like paying them anymore than you do. I am very aware that this year the increase will hit our senior citizens harder than in years past since they are not receiving an increase in Social Security benefits. Every year I have been mayor I put out the same challenge to those who believe their taxes are too high: What would you like to see cut or eliminated, as long as the suggestion is a service you use?

It would be easy for me, as mayor, to simply target the Senior Center for elimination. I do not use the services of the center at this stage in my life. It would also be easy for a person with no children to want to see school taxes reduced. That is an easy way out of the budget issues we face, and it is inherently wrong.

As we move forward, I would encourage all of the residents to become educated on the budget. Copies are available at City Hall, and I will be more than willing to answer questions or concerns about the budget, as will the council and city staff members. If I can't find the answer, I can usually find a person who does know the answer among our staff.

Budgeting and taxes are never an easy issue to deal with for any politician. I am proud where we are as a city in terms of its financial health and future. Are there challenges for us to face? Of course. Am I confident in the abilities of our staff and elected officials to meet those challenges? Of course.